Sunday, May 8, 2011

Where did the time go?

I could not believe it when I finally logged into my blog and saw that my last post was in January! I have been very busy with my horse rescue mission.  On Feb 4,2011 my life seemed to take a hairpin turn and I am now on a course that I had never imagined. Here is a link to the news story by Kamloops Daily news reporter Cam Fortems that I am sure has changed my life forever. http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20110204/KAMLOOPS0101/110209938/feral-five-go-on-the-block
Once this story hit the papers I was contacted and asked if I could help with the rescue of the feral horses.  Knowing that this was way to big to handle by myself  I contacted Deborah Silk from Critteraid and asked if she thought Critteraid could agree to act as the registereed charity to take on the responsibility of these horses. The first five had already gone to auction and so all we could do for them was to say a prayer and ask that their death was quick.  However we were told that there were two more who could possibly be saved from slaughter. With the help of a wonderful woman by the name of Judy Colpits from Kelowna , Minister Steve Thomsom turned the horses over to Critteraid. However as Murphy's law dictates never assume anything, it turned out that the ministry actually had six horses in custody and of course we had to take them all. There is no way we could pick and choose who would go to slaughter and who would be saved, so of course I told the ministry that we would take them all.
I feel like I have been on a tread mill ever since Feb 4,2011. I have been so busy and so happy all at the same time.
One of the horses was heavy in foal when we picked her up at the Kamloops stock yard and she just had her baby on Thursday May 5,2011. A beautiful bay filly that is very big! No wonder that poor mare had such a big belly for so long! We rushed to get her a foster home as we thought she would foal any day and then she waited three weeks to drop that baby!Check out http://www.critteraid.com/ for video to see the beautiful little girl that was saved from slaughter! Click on the Wild Horses Saved Banner to see updates on the rescue of the wild horses.
Just imagine she may have been born in a kill pen if her mom Anastasia had gone to auction, or who knows if she would have even been allowed to be born. Her mom could have been slaughtered with her still in her belly. It tears at my soul to think about all the baby's that have to suffer that fate. However I must rejoice in the fact that this is one baby and mom that will not be served up for dinner next to the mashed potatoes.
I am busy trying to get these horses trained trying to find forever homes for them. We have still not had a meeting with the Ministry as promised, but I will stay in touch and keep pushing for the meeting. Till then may God bless, Happy Mothers day and please forward this to as many people as possible as the horses need you. Donations can be made on the Critteraid website.
Yours in Compassion  Theresa Nolet Project Equus http://www.critteraid.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment